If you purchased your car before 2019 or picked one up second-hand from an earlier series, then you’ll need to install your own backup camera. The car parts marketplace offers all sorts of backup camera options, but they might require a separate dashboard display, which can lead to a cluttered mess inside of your car.
What you can do is get a car stereo with a built-in display that shows footage caught by the backup cam. In today’s guide, we’ll show you the best car stereo with backup camera and how to find the perfect model for your car.
Top 5 Best Car Stereo with Backup Camera
The best car stereo with backup camera is the Jensen CMN86. This is a double din unit that features a sizable 6.8-inch touchscreen with a virtual yet super-simplistic visual display. The LED, high-resolution touchscreen that remains fairly uncluttered by offering concise imagery and easy-to-use navigation controls.
The CMN86 comes built-in with iGO Prime Navigation, giving you premium automotive navigation with the help of Siri or Google Assistant and functionality through basic voice prompts. iGO will let you know what points of interest are available in the vicinity while also offering extensive coverage of North America.
This car stereo isn’t lacking any connectivity options, either. You can use Bluetooth (for streaming music and making hands-free phone calls) or a USB cable to hook your device up to this stereo with 30 preprogrammed radio stations.
The stereo unit uses RCA input that also comes with a microphone to give you both visual and audio while reversing. There are two inputs you can use to install rear and front cameras for extra parking safety. Many customers have figured out how to connect this device to their car despite the lack of English instructions. This car stereo with backup camera also supports steering wheel controls for additional hands-free functionality.
- 6. 8 INCH LED/LCD HIGH RESOLUTION TOUCH SCREEN – your…
- iGO PRIMO NAVIGATION – developed specifically for…
- SIRI / GOOGLE VOICE ASSIST BUTTON – with the touch of a…
- Features Bluetooth technology
- Comes with high-resolution touchscreen panel
- Includes iGO Prime Navigation
- Has two camera inputs
- Backlight control interface
- Compatible with wireless RC (sold separately)
- Display could be larger
- Instructions only in Spanish
The Pioneer AVH-1500NEX is a feature-packed, double din car stereo with backup camera. It supports hands-free calling and audio streaming, which will serve one million different purposes. The 6.2-inch full-color touchscreen display is easy to use, highly customizable, and super-responsive, all while giving you the most convenient controls over the camera and stereo systems (AM/FM compatibility, in case you’re wondering)
The AVH-1500NEX’s touchscreen display is more advanced than ever. The 800 x 480-pixel display is highly responsive and customizable. By downloading Apple Maps, the car stereo will help you navigate strange roads and help you get to wherever you’re going. The camera does a decent job at providing a wide-angle view of the objects behind your vehicle, but some customers found that the camera disconnects on occasion.
The pioneer AVH-1500NEX isn’t missing out in the connectivity department, either. You can connect your smart device to this car stereo using Bluetooth. If you prefer using old-fashioned CDs and DVDs, you’ll be happy to learn that this Pioneer-made car stereo lets you pop either of them in to listen to music or watch movies with your family. There’s also a USB port that lets you play audio and video for extra measure.
- Built-in Bluetooth technology for hands-free talking and…
- Works with Apple Car Play and Compatible with Android…
- Pandora, Spotify, Sirius XM Ready | WEBLINK
- Compatible with both Android and iOS
- Multimedia including DVD
- Customizable touchscreen display
- Supports third-party apps like Pandora, Spotify, Sirius XM (subscription required)
- Comes with a gravity phone holder
- Works with Apple Car Play
- Steering wheel ready (kit sold separately)
- Smaller display
- Bootup is slow
The ATOTO A6 Pro A6Y2721PR is one of the best car stereo with Bluetooth and GPS and backup camera. This 3-in-1 system features a decently wide 7-inch screen at 1024 x 600 resolution.
In addition to dual Bluetooth connectivity, you’ll also get Wi-Fi support. By leeching off of a mobile hotspot, you can activate GPS navigation (comes with a receiver and antenna) and use the preinstalled Google Maps app to find your way around town. In addition, you can cast whatever you’re doing on your smartphone onto the A6’s 7-inch display but be prepared for reduced picture quality.
With three available US ports, you’ll find it incredibly easy to directly connect multiple gadgets to your new car stereo. One of these offers quick charging as well, so you won’t need to wait long for your phone’s battery to fill. If you prefer, you can pop in an SD card (up to 256 GB) to play music or videos directly from the external memory storage.
The best car stereo with Bluetooth and GPS and backup camera supports multiple cameras. Not only will you have the perfect viewing angle of what’s behind you, but you can also connect two other cameras simultaneously to the device to record special moments during road trips.
- ATOTO A6 Pro has all the features available previously on A6…
- Exclusive features are: 1).Latest Qualcomm Bluetooth 5.0…
- 3).Latest 178° full-viewing angle IPS display screen with…
- Quick booting feature
- Factory steering wheel control compatibility
- Can save maps on offline storage
- Rearview camera plus two additional camera ports
- AUX port, SD slot, and USB ports (one with fast charging)
- Wide 7-inch display
- Compatible only with Android phones
- Not the best rear camera quality
The Hikity 10.1-inch car stereo is another car stereo with built-in GPS. This double din car stereo features a 10.1-inch screen and double USB adapters with RCA input/output. With a large 10.1-inch display, you’ll have a wider viewing angle (1024 x 600-pixel resolution) of what’s behind your vehicle as soon as you put your car into reverse gear.
The Hikity 10.1-inch sterero comes preinstalled with a map for the entire North American continent, which work fantastically at getting you to your destination, but you can activate real-time navigation support by connecting to the internet (Wi-Fi).
One awesome feature of this stereo with rearview camera and GPS support is that it supports MirrorLink for both iOS and Android. A built-in microphone allows you to send text messages using nothing but voice prompts. There are a couple of speech-to-text issues with this system (mic quality) but nothing too deal-breaking.
Other features in this model include steering wheel support, an FM radio, and Hikity play store support to download all sorts of fun apps for your new stereo, such as Spotify and Waze. Sadly, Netflix is not available on this device, and there have been problems with installation. Overall, if you want a large-screen car stereo with Bluetooth and GPS support, the Hikity 10.1-inch double din car stereo unit is the perfect option.
- 【Android Car Radio】Installation size is…
- 【Built-in WiFi & GPS Receiver】You can connect double din…
- 【Bluetooth & FM Radio】Support hands-free calling,…
- Hands-free Bluetooth speaker
- Unlimited space
- Can cast your phone
- GPS and Wi-Fi
- Supports both iOS and Android
- Multimedia support via USB input
- Half-second mute when changing volume
- Can be difficult to install
Lastly, we have another Hikity car stereo unit, this time the 7-inch touchscreen model. What sets this unit apart from the previous models is the flip-out screen. You can pop the screen in or out whenever you need to, so your car’s dashboard is never overly cluttered with digital buttons and displays. Pressing a single button flips out and retracts the screen at any time.
Despite its smaller screen compared to the previous Hikity, the backup camera offers true HD picture quality (1080p), so you’ll have an even clearer view of what objects lie behind your car. This single-din unit has a fully functioning touchscreen display and RCA input/output with built-in speakers and a microphone. Plus, with Wi-Fi connectivity, you can use Mirror Link on your Android or iPhone to send and receive messages safely while zooming down the road. You can also access maps in real-time thanks to the GPS receiver and transmitter. Despite the unclear instructions manual, installing this unit is a breeze.
In fact, this Hikity stereo unit shares many of the same specs and features as the 10.1-inch version. The main differences are that this one is a single din unit, has a flip-out screen, and a higher-definition camera.
- Android Car Stereo Single Din: 186(L)*55(H)*178(W) mm size…
- WIFI, GPS Navigation: After connected wifi, in Here WeGo…
- Bluetooth & FM Radio: built-in bluettoth for support hands…
- Built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and radio
- 1080p camera quality
- Can store 18 radio presets
- Compatible with steering wheel controls
- Comes with GPS support
- Screen flips in and out
- Instructions manual is unclear
- Not the best audio quality
Buying Guides of Best Car Stereo with Backup Camera
Choosing the best car stereo with backup camera can be confusing to many people. In this section, we’ll briefly go into detail about the various details you should consider to determine which car stereo model is the best for your vehicle.
Screen Size and Picture Quality
One of the first things you’ll want to look at is the screen size. However, a large screen with a crummy camera means looking hard-to-define pixels and unreliability. The ideal car stereo with backup camera has a display that’s at least 6.5 inches and a higher pixel density. The only true HD option on this list is the 7-inch flip-out stereo and camera by Hikity, though you’ll find the images on the other stereo units are also incredibly concise.
- Larger screen often means more pixelation
- Search for higher-quality cameras
- Flip-out screens mean less clutter
Single vs. Double Din
Before choosing a car stereo system, make sure you’re getting the right form factor for your car’s dashboard. Car stereos are either single din (7 x 2 inches) or double din (7 x 4 inches). If you have a double din dashboard and want a single din stereo for aesthetic purposes, feel free to do so. However, it doesn’t apply the other way around.
- Single din units compatible with single and double din dashboards
- Double din units only for double din dashboards
- Look for an appealing user interface or multiple interface options
Connectivity & Multimedia Formats
To get the most out of your stereo with backup camera, try and find a unit that offers the most connectivity options possible or at least as many as you commonly use. Many models come with Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, USB ports, AUX ports, and/or SD card slots. There are definite advantages to having multiple multimedia format compatibilities with your stereo unit.
- More connectivity options, the better
- Can also support steering wheel controls
- Download apps onto your stereo unit for more entertainment options
Several car stereo units come with preinstalled maps to help users navigate around large cities in North America. However, if you’re purchasing from abroad, or if you want real-time navigation help, then find a stereo that has a GPS receiver and transmitter. This also means you’ll need a stereo with Wi-Fi connectivity, which it uses to leech internet from a mobile device or public Wi-Fi zones.
- Navigation apps dependent on model type
- Though not perfect, real-time navigation is great for traveling through strange towns
- Some navigation apps display points of interest (gas stations, ATMs, malls, etc.)
Multiple Camera Setups
On this list, you’ll find car stereo with backup camera options that let you connect multiple cameras at the same time. This means you don’t only get the perfect viewing angle while reversing between parking lines but can also see objects at various angles, depending on where you place extra cameras.
- Side-mounted cameras can help with insurance claims
- You will have to purchase additional cameras
- Decide how you want to mount your cameras (bracket, lip, license plate, other specific mounting positions)
- Look for night vision and waterproof cameras
How We Picked the Car Stereo with Backup Camera
The following points will show you how we determined which models belong on our list of the best car stereo with backup camera.
Most car stereo with backup camera units focus more heavily on entertainment and not enough of picture quality. Crisper image quality translates into better safer parking. Although you can use price as a way to gauge how good a backup camera is, the inexpensive models listed above offer similar or identical-quality imagery.
Ease of Installation
If this is your first aftermarket car stereo, installing it yourself can be a pain. However, it all comes down to connecting wires to the correct port. The models listed above either come with easy-to-follow guides or, based on customer reports, won’t cost too much to get them professionally installed.
We were specifically searching for models that both offer great-quality pictures and plenty of entertainment options. After all, you’re not going to use the rearview cameras as often as you would the stereo, so we included high-performance models that come with multimedia support, from AUX ports to DVD drives.
A longer warranty instills greater buyer confidence. If the unit fails within a certain timeframe, you’re free to contact the seller or manufacturer and receive a replacement stereo unit or a full refund (sometimes without having to return the faulty unit). The manufacturers and sellers of the products above provide excellent after-sales services to every customer.
Being the most important thing, you should feel that you’ve gotten more than what you paid for. For the stereos with backup cameras on our list, we’re confident that you’ll be more than satisfied with your purchase decision.
All You Need to Know About Car Stereo with Backup Camera
Here’s what you need to know about car stereo with backup camera units before finagling your decision.
Drawbacks of Traditional Rearview Mirrors
Even though a rearview mirror lets you see what’s behind your vehicle, you never know what’s lying directly underneath the rear bumper until you dismount your car. Mirrors are also quite limited in terms of viewing angles.
- Do not show what’s behind or below your vehicle
- Limited viewing angles
- Needs repeated adjustment depending on driver’s height
Why You Need a Car Stereo with Backup Camera
There are several advantages of owning a car stereo with a backup camera. First, you have a clearer idea of what’s behind and beneath your car. It comes with guide lines that allow you to park more quickly and safely. Plus, you don’t need to constantly adjust the camera to get the perfect viewing angle.
- Wider viewing angle
- Shows objects beneath and behind your vehicle
- Guide lines for straighter parking
- Can be placed on the back of a trailer (dangerous blind spot)
- Easy to use by every driver, regardless of height
- Comes with wide range of entertainment features
Drawbacks of Aftermarket Backup Cameras
Despite their pros, backup cameras are prone aren’t foolproof. There can be a learning curve for new users, and the interface’s colors can be distracting, especially at night.
- New(ish) technology, takes time to learn how to figure out by new users
- Not 100% accident-proof
- Camera wires can disconnect while driving on bumpy roads
- Does not cover all blind spots
- Bright colors can be distracting
- Viewing angle dependent on how well the camera was mounted
- Though waterproof, water droplets can block vision
Important Q/A About Car Stereo with Backup Camera
1. Can backup cameras be installed in older car models?
Yes, they can. Aftermarket car stereo with backup cameras can be installed into nearly any vehicle, provided that your car was manufactured within the last 60 or 70 years. These units don’t take up any additional dashboard space but instead, fit exactly where your car’s current stereo would be.
2. Is it hard to install a stereo with backup camera?
Yes, it can be, especially if you’re not particularly savvy with car repairs and modifications. Consider taking your car to a car shop to get your new stereo and backup camera installed by a professional.
3. Can backup cameras record footage?
The stock cameras that come with car stereos cannot record video. However, if you can purchase additional cameras with a recording feature if you like, but you might not be able to control the recording function from the car stereo.
4. Are backup cameras worth it?
Yes, they are, especially if you have a tendency to park outside of the lines. The added safety of using backup cameras more than justifies the cost, but you’re also getting multimedia entertainment options in the stereo unit.
Car stereo with backup camera units are a must-have in this day and age. If your car doesn’t come with one, our list of the best car stereo with backup camera should provide you with plenty of high-value options. These models ensure that you’re getting the best viewing angle from beneath your car while also enjoying long road trips with several music and streaming options.